Thursday 7 January 2016

Regent 1, by Archie


2075

Log entry: Day 1

I am stuffed.

So very stuffed.

Okay. Calm down. I’m not too stuffed. I’m just in major trouble.

For anyone reading this who doesn’t know what the hell is going on, it’s the 4th of November 2075. Ring any bells? No? Basically the American military and the British army are involved in the biggest nuclear war in all time against China, Russia, Afghanistan and leading it, the Danish mafia (commonly called I.S.I.S).

The reason I am in so much trouble is because of what the American and the British government decided on the 30th of October. They decided to end the war.

By this I mean they decided to fire Regent 1. This was and is the biggest nuclear warhead ever created and guess what? The launch failed and exploded over the city of Toronto at 9:30 in the morning.

It was a bright cold day and all was well in the city of Toronto. All the normal shops opened at the normal times. The normal people were doing the things they would normally do. The only thing that was unusual was that the Watney family had disappeared.

Because I was in the military I was there when they decided to launch. Because of this I paid enough money for my wife, my son Archibald and myself to stay in the nearest bunker. Bunker 101. Which is where I am writing to you now.

Log Entry: Day 15

Today I got my first look at the landscape. When I say that I mean look at the black window. There was no problem with the window; Regent 1’s nuclear winter was so dense that no light could get through, producing an anti-greenhouse effect; lowering the Earth’s temperature as no sunlight or heat could get through the big black shield. If I decide to go out I will definitely need to take a torch and a big thermal heater!

Now I am going to talk about the kit I am wearing. To anyone who doesn’t know how I’m alive with all this radiation stuff floating around, the military started distributing radiation-proof clothes to everyone in it long ago. But they only started designing radiation-proof suits and bunkers in the last decade. The suit I'm in now is one of the best as it is made from lithium carbonate. The bunker I'm in now was built just last year so I am pretty safe.

Now it is time for me to introduce everyone I am sharing this bunker with. First up: my wife Lewis and our baby Archibald. We are in room 3 and her speciality is medicine. That’s how we met. I came back from Afghanistan early, thanks to a leg wound and she was the medic who treated me.

Next up is Mike Long, his wife Sara and sons Joe and Luis. They are in room 5. He was a doctor and treated cancer (the nasty kind). So if anyone does die, he at least, won’t freak out.

Then we have John Weaver. Room 4. He doesn't have a wife but that worked out well for him as he now spends all his time bent over his computer trying to figure out why the bomb failed.

Second to last we have the Prossers. They are in room 1 as there are just two of them. Will and his son Jake, the wife refused to let either of the boys stay behind. Because of this Will hardly ever comes out of his room.

And finally we have Nick Downham who is in room 1. He is a scientist and has spent the last day or two making estimates and calculating how long this nuclear winter will last. Hopefully not too long!

Log Entry: Day 23

Yes!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Professor Downham just got back from his expedition he went on last week and has worked out that the winter will only last a month! This means that the winter will end on the 25th of December! Christmas!!!!

However because of this this may be the last entry of this log. As we have already spent 3 weeks in the bunker and the nuclear winter is only a month.

Bye!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.